1/12/2011

Iced Atlanta


I left the house/quilting studio for the first time since Sunday to ice-walk to the grocery for provisions. This is what I am going to try next:

Now you know that since I am a quilter (and decidedly not crazy for Day Job) that I was not the least bit upset about staying at home for three days to quilt. It has been heaven. I wouldn't have gone to the grocery except that I really needed to get a "walk" (if you can call mincing along on the ice as if my feet had been bound as a baby walking). I had food but nothing to put in the crock pot and I didn't know if the grocery would have bread (they did), so I made dilly bread and put lentil soup in one pot and sauerkraut/turkey sausage in the other pot.

I was interested in making chili but there was no ground beef in the store. I could have had all the unground beef I wanted for $20 and up a package. There was also no celery or carrots, no loose potatoes or loose onions, a necessity for backpack-toting. The store co-manager said he and the other manager had slept in the grocery for three nights running. He seemed a bit crazed and it's no wonder. It made me think of that Sondheim musical where the people lived in the department store 24/7 and sang beautiful songs.

Icicles!


Triple-decker icicles! One-dimensional icicles are simply unheard-of down here.

There are other quilty things I should be working on, but this Old Swedish Quilt (pictured on Kathie Holland's blog) has captured my attention:

That Rembrandt, always helping with the quilting:
Don't ask me what that red thing is on my arm, it's too long a story.

11 comments:

Darlene said...

BRRRRR - stay warm and especially safe.

Libby said...

Oh, I so want to go Amish skiing! Headed out to help clear the driveway . . . . this is the BEST snowday - every *s*

Terrie Sandelin said...

Beautiful fabric choices for that Old Swedish block. And I love the Sondheim songs!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

What a cool video! They know how to make their fun don't they.

Love you Old Swedish Quilt block...very precise piecing and great colours!

Gypsy Quilter said...

Glad you made it to and from the store safely. As a side note, LL Bean sells ice gripper cleats that you can strap to the bottom of your shoes. I love the quilt block you're working on. Will you be doing multiple squares?

Amy said...

Oh, now I have a chill.We have 24 degrees here but no ice or snow.I like the quilt.

MARCIE said...

So that wasn't you skiing behind the buggy? Looks like Atlanta has become Icelanta. Be careful out there!

Gretchen said...

I love this post!! Is that a Snuggie on your arm??!!?? LOL! My cats are enjoying every bird in the neighborhood flocking to my feeders. Dinner sounds wonderful and your quilt project is gorgeous. Tomorrow is possibly another snow day because the roads are terrible again today.

Sharon said...

I got the Swedish quilt book and this one has caught my eye as well. Did you draft your own pattern..it is beautiful! Stay warm and don't fall on the ice. My husband has been trying to do repairs for one of his customers, and the part has to come from Peachtree, GA...not looking good on getting it any time soon!

antique quilter said...

oh the blocks looks wonderful, keep going
hope its getting better and warming up by you!
we had 8" of snow yesterday another great day to stay in and sew the day away!
I am so happy for you that you were able to stay home for a few days I KNOW you needed that!
Kathie

Julie-Ann said...

I didn't leave the house for 5 days, other than to walk the dogs on Thursday and Friday. Started my Lover's Knot quilt. I really enjoyed those days. I want to come to your house for dinner! LOL