6/28/2007

BOMs



Got my June BOMs done. That's a 6" and a 12" above, the first being a smaller version of the regular BOM and the second being my own ongoing alternate version that has the same beige background fabric in each month's block and a different Westminster Kaffe Fassett-type fabric each time. I do not even want to tell you how long it took to digitize and machine stitch the 6" applique piece below. Maybe I should switch to hand applique, it would be so much faster. But I do love to digitize.


The little applique kit is available each month, like so:

Cute as can be, eh? Well, I forgot to buy one on LQS BOM Day, so made a trip back to get the kit. Haven't seen that darn kit since I walked out of the LQS with it. Where is it? I just cleaned up my sewing studio, so it should be out in plain view. Somewhere. Considered a third trip to get a second kit, but decided to recreate it myself so as long as I was doing that, I added a second bud and bird.

Watched episodes of Tales of Avonlea while doing this block. Has anybody watched these lately? I love them so much. Just finished Dark and Stormy Night, remember that one? That was done like an old overly dramatic serial story in a magazine of the era. Absolutely darling, and guess who played the romantic but dangerous male? Christopher Reeve in an unrecognizable voice. How did he make his voice sound so different? Very bittersweet to see him riding around so elegantly on his black horse and looking so, so handsome.

My treasured darling only son got a mammoth speeding ticket last night. He's had his license for like two weeks. I smoulder in anger.

13 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

My son Chris has had a few tickets but he waited a year or so after getting his license. He drove to Florida from Marietta last weekend to meet us at my SIL's and the last thing I said to him was to watch his speed!

Melanie said...

I remember the first year my son had his license. I just he'd make it at least one month out of 12 with out denting something...It gets better...

Carol E. said...

How clever you are to make that wonderful flower with extra bud and bird! Just beautiful. My daughter totalled our car one month after getting her license. Life with children...ever changing and challenging! Hang in there.

Libby said...

Love your version of the BOM applique - the extra touches are just right.

Teens really are the true test of our mettle. Hang in there . . . this too shall pass *s*

KC Quilter said...

My younger son got two (yep, two) speeding tickets within just a few months of getting his license!!! I took away his car keys for a while--mainly so he would not rack up any more points off his license in such a short time LOL! Well, 16 years later and he's never had another one! It does get better.

The Humble Arts said...

Karen
I loved the Avonlea Series. Had almost forgotten them.
My sons have never received tickets however my baby and only daughter - let's just say she can really put the pedal to the metal!
Blondie

Judy said...

Love the 2 blocks and both versions...smaller and larger! The applique looks so nice a pretty!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know there was a "Tales of Avonlea" series. Just last summer I watched the entire "Anne of Green Gables(1), The Sequel (2), and the Continuing Story (3)--they were made in the 80's. I really enjoyed them. They filmed them in Canada through all the seasons and the landscapes are gorgeous. I also enjoy your quilting photos.

meggie said...

What is it with males & speed? Thank goodness it was all he got, speed can be so dangerous, if they only realised.
I love that block with the flower! So pretty.

Jenni said...

They are really cracking down here on young drivers, as they head the statistics for fatal crashes. He would probably have his license taken off him here for that. Good luck!

Chookyblue...... said...

nice block and applique....like your changes......boys will be boys we just have to hope they make it through with out to many scars...and you don't go grey in the mean time.......

MARCIE said...

I love your block! Really cute with the little bird! Have fun at your new job!

Hanne said...

Your blocks are lovely Karen - and your smile for the LQS work is catching all the way here :-)