10/25/2006

Family Crib Quilts




Oh dear, my camera went dead yesterday at the second session of the Vintage Challenge quilt class so I didn't get photos of the other people's quilts. It was still a planning session though, so they weren't assembled. We are planning to get together in some way in a few weeks to see everybody's finished quilts, so hopefully I can get some photos then. It was a great class and they will offer it again if Alice Berg can be persuaded. We will all take it again if offered, because it will be a different challenge. Great class idea. Alice helped me refine my square on point border and it looks great. Can't wait to get it done and show it to you. Lots of dark colors.

I brought these two antique crib quilts to show since the class inspiration photo was a crib quilt. These are from back in my family and were made in Ohio. One is intact and very lovely, the brown and white one, and you can see that the other is very tattered and was cut down from a larger quilt. But you know whoever kept it did so because they loved the baby or babies that were wrapped up in that quilt.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful antique crib quilts!!! Especially love the blue one. I know that pattern but am drawing a blank---not enough caffeine yet!!! KC Quilter

Cathi said...

Those quilts look great!

I used to live in Atlanta (Jonesboro in Clayton Co.) before moving to Ireland with my Irish husband, what great quilt shops and classes you have near you, wish I'd been into quilting more then, but had stopped for a while!

quiltpixie said...

what a wonderful recycling of an old quilt -- to simply re-size it!

Nancy said...

I rather like the one that was cut from an older quilt!

Melanie said...

What detail - thanks for sharing. I can just imagine the babies these quilts kept warm.

Lucy said...

What a beautifull treasures !! and I love to hear about the class from "the little quilts" I met alice once when I visited the shop and she is very kind...

Quilts And Pieces said...

They are both wonderful, but I LOVE the brown and white one!