9/17/2006

#1 Met Gail at LQS
#2 Antique Maple Leaf Quilt to Show

Gail from the StashQuilts Ring and I met at Little Quilts in Marietta GA on Saturday and had a good time. Forgot to bring a camera for pics. I could look around Little Quilts for two hours each time I go, there is so much to see. We also got lunch at Marietta Diner, which I had never been to before. It is just like a New York diner with huge layer cakes 8" high in the glass cases and other pastries and a big big menu with lots of Greek items and others. It was bustling, the food looked great, our waiter was spectacular right out of Central Casting for Greek NYC Waiter, I would have adored to get an gyro plate, but Gail and I were both good and got the vegetable plate with rice, which was very tasty (sigh). Thank you for suggesting that we meet, Gail, it was fun!!

StashQuilts is doing a Maple Leaf quilt for October Hour a Day. Back when I was up in the midwest, scouring the antique malls in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio, looking for everything under the sun including quilts, I was always on the lookout for a Maple Leaf quilt. It just seemed that most either weren't very well made or used overly busy (or duddy) fabrics such that the leaf pattern didn't show up. Anyway, I found this inexpensive Maple Leaf (or variation of Maple Leaf?) one day in Hodgenville, Kentucky...you know, Lincoln's birthplace...and got it. It has the cutest green gingham backing.





Sitting atop the Maple Leaf for safekeeping was this little frog on a lilypad created by my son back in Montessori days. Awwwww maybe I should have let him use the Olfa NOT!

12 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

I wish I'd known you guys were meeting - I would have joined you. I love Little Quilts and Marietta diner and both are close to where I live in Marietta. Glad you guys had fun together.

Sweet P said...

It's always fun to meet an on-line quilt friend. Sounds like you had a good time.

Your antique quilt is cute. So is your son's frog.

Gail said...

I enjoyed our outing-and we WILL have to do it again!

quiltpixie said...

what a neat variation on the maple leaf...

Joyce said...

You just have to love those old fabrics. THe colors are so soft. I love the green.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

It sounds like you guys had fun together - a perfect recipe - quilt shop, talking and food!

Thanks for sharing your leaf quilt!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Angie said...

What a wonderful quilt you found!! And don't you just LOVE Little Quilts???? I've only been there once, but oh I too could spend hours in there!! Would love to go again someday.

Hedgehog said...

What a treasure! I like that the colors aren't the traditional ones used for maple leaf quilts.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I like that chunky maple leaf block, but oooh the fans are awesome. great quilt!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love that quilt! What a find! And can you believe I started a quilt last year with exactly that same block! I just have to sew the rows together. I was going to do simple cross-hatching for quilting, but seeing the fans on that one I'm reconsidering now.

Anyway my pattern and setting is a bit different, and the pattern is called Men At Work! Turn the block - it looks like the men at work signs! I'll post a picture on my blog for you.

Lucy said...

I am looking so green from yealous that you went both to Little Quilts.
I believe that you have had a great time :-)
Great quilt ! thanks for sharing it.

Susan in N. GA said...

Thank you so much for sharing the vintage quilt, it is wonderful. I live in Ga. too. I added you to my blog list.
Blessings,
Susan.